Monday, April 16, 2007

In Search of an Offbeat Pastime...

After I moved to Hyderabad, my friend and I have become ardent theatergoers (read The movie marathon begins), somehow managing to watch a movie every weekend despite our hectic schedules :-). At times we even saw two movies a weekend and one day i was about to see two movies back to back but avoided somehow. Of late, we felt this movie marathon has reached to nauseating extremes and decided to try something different.

We developed a relish for live stage performances. One such attempt was a magic show by a magician Anand. Though my intellect said magic is nothing more than an optical illusion and can exist only in Harry Potter's world, neither my eye nor my mind can see through the delusion. Some of the tricks conjured by him like vanishing the statue of liberty, cutting a girl with a saw, making a girl float without any support are noteworthy. Even my over intelligent friend could unveil only a few. I enjoyed the show as it gave a break to the monotony.

The next attempt was a play. I just said ok when my friend suggested it without even inquiring about the details, as the very idea gave me a satisfaction of evading boredom. The play was a spoof of hamlet by EVAM group. This was the first play i ever saw in my life, and was hilarious. Though they failed to start the play on time, about which my friend is very sensitive, there was an interminable supply of joy. With just 3 guys, playing the roles of eight characters interchangeably, they did the trick of provoking humor in the audience. Quite interesting of all, Ophelia, the love of Hamlet, was enacted by a girl from the audience and the way she was asked to scream while hamlet proposed her was really funny. In addition they did few other small comedy shows which were equally good. In short it was worth the money.

Waiting for something different to come in the following weeks...

Disclaimer : My friend and I watched this play together and both of us wrote the review on same day. We enjoyed the show to the same extent and readers may feel the reviews to be similar. This piece of work is original and any type of resemblance is purely accidental :-)

5 comments:

Rebelzz said...

Well, I was never invited to the magic show! Am angry *stares*

Anyways, lets wait for the next evam play... That must be equally good :)

Vigneshwar said...

@swetha
Dont get angry on me... D only said to me that you were out of town...

Unknown said...

S, you really were out of town.

Vigneshwar said...

@D
neenga rendu perum chat panna ennoda blog comment page than kidachudha...

Anand said...

I am looking forward to their Side-2 of Monty Phython Hysssteria. I missed the Hamlet one. I had asked Karthik whether the play was ever released in any CDs. I think we have to wait quite sometime till the team gathers fans and popularity.